Slikker Kicks KCU to 13-10 Win at Belhaven

10.6.2012 | Jackson, MS

The Kentucky Christian football team used a stellar defensive effort and last-second dramatics to steal a 13-10 road win over Belhaven Saturday afternoon at H.T. Newell Field.

Andrew Slikker shook off his 0-of-3 effort against Campbellsville a week ago and drilled a 33-yard field goal as time expired to even the Knights' record at 3-3. The loss dropped Belhaven to 2-4.

The sophomore from Mission Viejo, Calif., was brought on the field for the game winner after the Knights had held the ball for nearly seven minutes in the game's final drive. Sophomore QB Graham Johnston showed the poise of a veteran, converting three third-downs -- eight-yard rush on a third and 7, a 15-yard completion to Lane Knost on a 3rd and 12 and a second connection with Knost, this time for five yards on a 3rd and 4 -- to put the team in position for the victory.

KCU picked up positive yards on its next three playing on rushes from sophomores Nathan Termuhlen and Stanley Peterson before head coach Mike Furrey called a timeout with three seconds on the clock to set up the final play from the Belhaven 16-yard line. The Blazers tried to ice Slikker with a timeout of their own but it was to no avail as he knocked the ball through the uprights as the final horn sounded.

The Knights came into this week's matchup defensive minded as Belhaven had racked up 122 points in its previous two games. KCU limited the Blazers to only 65 yards on the ground and 196 offensive yards total. Junior DT Marvin Newkirk III led the way with seven total tackles and two sacks.

KCU went into halftime up 10-0 lead following a 34-yarder by Slikker in the first quarter and a one-yard plunge by Johnston in the second quarter.

Belhaven cracked the scoreboard in the third quarter on a 10-yard touchdown pass from Alex Williams to Deuce Coon. The Blazers had a chance to take the lead in the middle of the fourth when Johnston was intercepted by Darrius Wren, putting the Blazers in business on the Knights' 10-yard line. The KCU defense stiffened on three straight plays and forced Belhaven to settle for a 33-yard field goal from James Bryan to tie the game at 10.

After Johnston was intercepted for a second time, the Blazers got in position for a 53-yard field goal, but this time Bryan's kick fell short. KCU took over at its own 36-yard line and put together one of its best drives of the season to set up Slikker's last-second heroics.

The Knights are back on the road next Saturday, Oct. 13, against the University of Virginia at Wise. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m.