Knights Soccer Wins Tough One at Home

9.21.2013 | Grayson, KY

It was a good day for a soccer game, and it turned into a good soccer game for the day. Although it was a bit overcast, and there were a few drops of rain, the cool temperatures on the first day of fall did nothing to hamper the Knights in claiming there first home victory of the season. Elizabethtown Community and Technical College, the Barons, came to KCU today to play the Knights, and the Knights were ready.

The game started quickly, with KCU's Michael Lien firing the first shot in the 3rd minute of play. Though no good, it proved to be a harbinger of things to come. In the 22nd minute, Derrek Richardson scored to put the Knights ahead at 1-0. Throughout the match there were a few hard fouls, and they started just after this goal. In the 36th minute, ECTC's Chris Wilk equalized, and the first period ended at 1-1.

The second half began weakly as ECTC managed a goal in the second minute, but they began to play sloppily and with more confidence than their small lead should called for, and at in the 68th minute, freshman Jon-Eric Stiles evened the score on an assist from fellow first-year Knight Michael Lien. Then, just 4 minutes later, Lien put KCU ahead on an unbelievable goal after receiving a pass from Dallas Coning. It started on a set-piece from about 35 yards out, near the right sideline. Jon-Eric Stiles faked the re-start and ran by, then Coning put the ball on Lien's foot just outside the penalty box in the middle of the field. He stepped over and turned to the left, then stepped over and turned to the right, and pushed the ball toward the goal, then spun himself into an opening past the defense. After soft touches and 3 quick steps, he had the keeper one-on-one, and took it by on the right side, sliding the ball into the net as he passed the ECTC goalkeeper. This put KCU up 3-2, and sealed the game, but it wasn't over until after Jordan McClarnon put one in the back of the net on a pass from Stiles. Two minutes later, it was over, and the Knights advanced their record to 2-5.

KCU finished the match with 15 shots, 9 of which were on-goal, 6 corners taken, while giving up only 8 shots, 6 on-goal, and 2 corners. If the play today was an indication of the rest of the season, big things await the Knights. The are in action again on Tuesday evening, hosting Cincinnati Christian University at 6 PM, immediately after the Lady Knights game.